Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

"Why do I have so much and other people so little?"

This is the question, Reverend Marlin Harris asked at New Life Church this past Sunday. 

He had just returned from a missions trip to Africa, and saw poverty all around him. He mentioned looking at their praise for the little they had, you would think they were millionaires. While people, here in the United States complain and gripe about the inconveniences in their life. 

I can vouch for the reverend. My wife and I went to Jamaica for her birthday this year, and instead of staying on the resort in Montego Bay the whole time, we decided to catch a very expensive cab ride to Kingston which is on the other side of the island. There were beautiful moments as we saw the ocean and the beaches of Jamaica...

Our cab driver

Beautiful Ocean

Roadside


As we got closer to Kingston, you could tell the conditions of the roads were getting rougher and the smog from the city life polluted the blue skies. The cab driver told us stories of how small things like air freshener and washing detergent were so expensive over there. We drove through slums, and I don't mean the section 8 apartments that my dad and I lived in during my summer vacations from college, I mean actual slums. The houses couldn't have been any bigger than a bedroom here. 

Seeing different cultures like that, opens you eyes to true poverty, and makes you thankful for the simplest things like running water and air conditioners. These are things that are so common to us, but people in Jamaica and Africa and other poor countries would kill for those things, and yet they find it in their heart to be thankful. 

This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for the small things.....

Signing out,

Fatdreek

No comments:

Post a Comment