Thursday, November 10, 2011

"No Better Than a Homeless Man"

When I graduated college and got my first "real" job, I was put in a dilemma! I was used to checks from:

Mcdonalds
Kroger
Save-Rite
Ingles
Cutting grass with Jack
Target Container
1 week at Race Trac (Gas Station)
Being an electrician's apprentice for my dad & granddad
Grounds crew @ PCC
cleaning pools with Eric

when I got my first check from Kemron Environmental Services, something clicked in my head that I was rich.  I wasn't Donald Trump rich but I was Hood Rich!! I immediately went to the mall and bought 3 pair of shoes and 5 hats (No Lie) I had bought so much stuff, I had to buy an extra suitcase to take back home to Georgia for my monthly return. I think for the first 5-6 checks, I bought all kind of stuff:

More hats & more shoes
Birthday gifts for anybody & everybody
a lot of wings @ hooters
every hip-hop c.d. ever made
tons of gas to drive to D.C. to see my homey Big Milt (wuddup homes)
stocks in Sirius Radio (a success when they merged with XM) and stocks in Tweeter (a fail when they closed their stores)

The moral of the story is that, saving was not my strong suit. I had a talk with my best friend Jack who told me that living check-to-check makes me no better than a homeless man who lives under a bridge. That resonates with me until this day. From that conversation, I saved up enough money for a down payment on my 1st home (a lot better than shoes & hats), and I'm slowly but surely getting that savings to where my homey Jack would be proud!

I'll have ways that I save all the time on the blog from time to time so stay tuned and here's to making it to the 1% of the wealthiest people in America!

1 comment:

  1. Marrying him cut down on my shoe-buying too...I guess that isn't a bad thing, as a girl doesn't REALLY need 5 pair of black patent pumps, right?

    ReplyDelete